I originally posted this on TheMatrixGarage, but since the site went down the information is no longer available to those who need it. I figured I'll post it here seeing that the community has treated me so well over the years. Thanks to dnm for providing me with the How To's I submitted on TMG before closing down the site.
How To: Install A Rear Wiper Assembly (03-08)
HOW TO: Install a rear wiper on a 03-08 Matrix equipped w/o a rear wiper.
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damages caused by following the steps below. Please note that this “How To” will not cover the installation of a rear washer nozel, rear spoiler, rear washer reservoir, rear washer hose, or a rear washer pump.
ATTN: Prior to proceeding, please take the time to verify your Matrix is wired for a rear wiper by:
1. Checking that the fuse box (located within the cab under the driver side dash) is housing a 15amp fuse in the “Rear Wiper” slot. Note: A diagram listing the location of this fuse can be found on the Fuse Box cover.
2. Checking that there is a connection for the “Rear Wiper Relay” (located in the rear door hatch).
3. Checking that the “Rear Wiper Relay” connection is receiving power.
4. Checking that there is a connection for the “Rear Wiper Motor” (located in the panel on the rear hatch glass).
Flat Head Screwdriver
Phillips Head Screwdriver (or similar tool)
10mm Deep Socket
1. Open the glass portion of the rear hatch.
2. With a Flat Head Screwdriver gently pry open the plastic casing surrounding the rear wiper bracket. Work your way around the casing releasing all the clips. Note: Be careful not to break the clips.
3. Remove the two 10mm nuts and remove the wire harness from the studs. (See pic below)
4. Remove the three Phillips Head Screws. (See pic below)
5. Remove the 10mm bolt that secures the rear glass handle and the 10mm nut that holds the rear wiper bracket in place.
Note: Be sure to support the rear wiper bracket. A second set of hands are useful here. (See pic below)
6. Turn the Wiper Bracket over and unclip the plastic wire retainer.
7. Insert the new Wiper Bracket (with Rear Wiper Motor) by securing the bracket with the 3 Phillips Head Screws removed in Step 4.
8. Replace the wire harness removed in Step 3 and the 10mm nut removed in Step 5. Note: Be careful not too torque these too tightly because you can crack the glass.
9. Connect the Wiper Motor to the wire harness and clip the wire retainer back into place. (See pic below)
10. Replace the cover and close the glass portion of the hatch.
11. With the glass portion closed assemble the wiper assembly as pictured in the parts diagram (located in the Parts List of this How To) and you’re done.
12. The only thing left to do will be to install a Rear Wiper Relay and a Wiper Switch (w/ rear wiper).
For a How To on installing the Rear Wiper Relay see (Mod Please Insert link from my other How To)
For a How To on installing a Rear Wiper Switch see (Mod please insert link from my other How To)
CruxlessMember Since 19 Aug 2007
Offline Last Active Yesterday, 01:24 PM
- Group Members
- Active Posts 2,500 (1.19 per day)
- Most Active In Off Topic (556 posts)
- Profile Views 8,249
- Member Title Guru
- Age 34 years old
- Birthday June 29, 1978
Climbing, Cycling, Trail Running, Art, Music, Movies, Beer, Video Games, and Cars.