Need Help With Classification!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Master Z

Master Z

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

Ok, So I can't run a stock class because of my bolt ons(I/H/E etc), nor can I run STF because of my wheel set up.

I'm on 17x9 with 245/40's.  I ran the season opener in FSP,  but have added a carbon fiber hood since then.  What do you think my best options are for class?

SMF?  

I'm unfortunately on street tires so that doesn't help my cause either.  

I thinking of staying in FSP as long as nobody b****** about it.  It's not like I'm really competitive in that class anyway. I'd need to gut it, add an LSD, add wide R comps, serious suspension and motor work to even come close to the pro class guys in the rabbits and CRX's.

I just want to run for fun, but at the same time not step on any toes by infringing on class rules.

What to do???

Thanks for any insight.

Check out my Thread Thing on Toyota Nation HERE!

#2 outlaw

outlaw

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:46 PM

STX was your best bet before the carbon hood.  FWD has a 265mm size limit & 9" wheel width limit in that class, and it's limited to street tires w/ a minimum 200 UTQG only.  Kpace used to run STX with a Torsen LSD and RS3's, before R-comps anyway.  Without the carbon, STX has no reason to b**** about you.

If you're running local areas, you can ask the group if they'll let you run with the carbon hood.  If you're new, and not running the hottest tire (RE71, Star Specs, RS3, etc.), they likely won't b**** about it (if they do, they're a bunch of pussies).  Carbon alone puts you into Street Mod, and national level competition has to be by the book.  The thing I've learned about the Matrix at autocross, is that no one takes it seriously until it starts winning numerous races and season points.  They'll call it a minivan until then.

I think we had the same conversation on Facebook.

Edited by outlaw, 19 April 2016 - 10:48 PM.

IG: matrixter

63222.png

#3 dnm

dnm

captain pants

• Members
  • 10,267 posts
  • Interests:Toejam, but not Earl; sequels to bad movies; hair in the drain; dog farts; and broken promises.
  • 2003 Matrix XRS/2004 Matrix XRS/2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser/2004 Audi S4/1994 Toyota Supra TT/1983 Yamaha XS400/and the real gem: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder, bιtches.

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:33 AM

Setting rules based on UTQG is the dumbest thing ever -- it's a completely arbitrary number from manufacturer to manufacturer.

What idiot is responsible for those rules?  Hit him in the face.  With a chair.

#4 outlaw

outlaw

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

You shush your mouth.  My "200 UTQG" RE71's are amazing, I don't want to give them up...

63222.png

#5 dnm

dnm

captain pants

• Members
  • 10,267 posts
  • Interests:Toejam, but not Earl; sequels to bad movies; hair in the drain; dog farts; and broken promises.
  • 2003 Matrix XRS/2004 Matrix XRS/2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser/2004 Audi S4/1994 Toyota Supra TT/1983 Yamaha XS400/and the real gem: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder, bιtches.

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:39 PM

That's kind of my point.  A set of 200 UTQG RE71s will f****** DESTROY a set of 300 UTQG General for example.

#6 outlaw

outlaw

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

So at what point do you draw a line in the sand of where a street tire becomes an R-comp?  I get that a 200 Hankook vs. a 200 Bridgestone will wear and grip differently, but as their compounds improve, it's incredibly difficult to say that "this tire can't be used because its lateral coefficient of friction is too great."  At that point, the only even ground would come from SCCA themselves providing a spec tire to drive on, and that ruins the flexibility and affordability that solo has.

And I hope to God an RE71, RS3, RE11, Star Spec, or hell, my 340 BFG Sport Comp 2's would destroy a 300 General.  Eeew.

63222.png