9 replies to this topic

#1 Cypherion

Cypherion

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Investing

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Hi everyone,

It turns out that one of the backlights on the stock radio deck has gone out. Any cheap way to replace this? I heard that upgrading to a new aftermarket deck might be cheaper and better. I don't plan to touch my speakers at all, just the HU.

If so, is this a plug & play thing or do wires have to be cut/soldered? What other accessories are required?

Looking to spend less than $150 and want to have at least an AUX for iPhone/iPod.

Any recommendations? :biggrinsmiley:

Thanks

Edited by Cypherion, 20 February 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#2 dnm

dnm

Zenlike

• Members
  • 9,785 posts
  • Interests:Centipedes, metal shavings, toe jam, and those little hairs you get in your shirt after a haircut.
  • 2004 Audi S4/1994 Toyota Supra TT

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

The problem with trying to repair the factory deck is that the parts can be expensive (if you can even find them), and most of the components are soldered directly to the circuit board, so even if you could get the parts, you may not be able to install them.

I would recommend a new HU. It's worth it.

Get whatever you like that's within your price range; as you can see with some current discussions on the board, there's already plenty of disagreement as to what's good and what isn't. I'm a big fan of Kenwood and Pioneer's HUs. As for wiring, get the requisite harness, and solder that to the harness that comes with the deck. Other than the 12V power extension for the antenna amplifier, the rest of it is plug and play from there. (the soldering you can do from the comfort of your living room.)

As for which harness and/or dash kit you need, just go to crutchfield.com to get the part #s. Or eBay, they'll have them listed by vehicle. The kits for the matrix I think are Scosche and Metra.

#3 Cypherion

Cypherion

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hmm, thanks. Are there any plug & play options out there?

#4 dnm

dnm

Zenlike

• Members
  • 9,785 posts
  • Interests:Centipedes, metal shavings, toe jam, and those little hairs you get in your shirt after a haircut.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Not other than OEM.

Where're you located?

Edited by dnm, 20 February 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#5 Cypherion

Cypherion

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

GTA

#6 dnm

dnm

Zenlike

• Members
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Get the harness and a new deck and bring them to the west end, and I'll solder them together and install it for you for the price of a vanilla coke and a donut.

#7 Cypherion

Cypherion

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the offer. Let me see. I would need an antenna adaptor, mounting bracket and harness right? Is it easy to remove and install the old deck when I sell the car? Like, a matter of pulling it apart and plugging in the old ones.

#8 danimal86

danimal86

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix Xr

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

no need for an antenna adapter.....take dnm up on his offer!
Installed: DDM 4500K 55w HID's Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-xenon Projectors (XB-35 Bulbs & Denso Ballasts),(E-Bay) SRI Injen CAI, Pioneer Avh-P3200DVD (With add-on bluetooth & Navi) Avic-X940 Bt, Infinity Components (front) RF Prime 6.5 (rear), DC Header, JL 500/1 and 10w6, TRD Axle Back Exhaust, Camcom, TRD STB, Progress RSB, Scion TC Wheels Stock 16" 5-Spoke, Scanguage II, VLED V3 Triton Brake Lights, VLED: Interior reverse and flashers,

Next: Fx-R 3.0 retrofit LS460 Retrofit, Rear Disc Conversion

#9 dnm

dnm

Zenlike

• Members
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Yes you will need an antenna adapter.

And yes, removing it would be (mostly) plug and play. To get proper radio reception, we would have to tap another wire that you'd have to cut to put it back to stock, but I can show you what to do; it would require about 5 seconds to snip a wire, and electrical tape over it.

#10 ExactlyAtMidnight

ExactlyAtMidnight

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix Xr 2zz swap

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

I have one similar to this
Posted Image
http://www.crutchfie...ze|FFDouble@DIN

Cruchfield gives you every thing you need to install it.

Best of all you can change the colors to match your interior lights