#1 Salsa Guy

Salsa Guy

Guru

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • Matrix XR
  • 4WD

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

I'm trying to troubleshoot a noise on the SC / Altenator. Does any one know the size belt I need to bypass the SC? I know the stock is 74" w/AC and the 85" with the SC.

Also how do you open the ABV on the SC? I think the ABV actuator should be removed then the which way should the be rotated and locked down at?

To remove the Altenator the Sc wil need to be removed also. Just want to make sure what the issue is before I start tearing things down.
05 Matrix XR 4WD. Just Slow not low for long!
03 Vibe GT. The Quick and Old.
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR

TRIX MODS:
TRD SC, AEM UEGO Wideband w/Auber Gauge, Auber Boost Sensor/Gauge, Oil Catch Can, e-Bay SRI w/AEM Dry Flo, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Voltage Stabilizer/Ground Kit, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley, DRL Mod, Fog Light Mod, Sunroof Auto Stop Mod

GT MODS:
DRL Mod, Fog Light Mod, Sunroof Auto Stop Mod, Fog HIDs, Hella Horns, DC Sports STB, Cosmo Racing SRI

#2 infuzeyou

infuzeyou

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Toyota
  • Corolla S

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Is it even possible to run the engine without the s/c spinning? I would think that would cause little or no airflow. (this is more of a question, since I don't know that much about superchargers)
Performance Mods: K&N Typhoon SRI, Megan Racing coilovers, DC Sports strut bar, Alutec lightweight crank pulley, R1 Concepts cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, NRG voltage stabilizer/grounding kit, Optima Red Top battery

Other Mods: Chrome w/black mesh grille, H9 chrome projector headlights, 5000K 35W HIDs, 2nd gen Altis LED tails, AVS window visors, stubby antenna, Tc armrest, Räzo quick-shift knob, Enkei Super 7 18" wheels, Avital remote start w/ trunk pop & lock/unlock, LED Swap: every single bulb replaced w/ LEDs (interior & exterior), plus engine bay LEDs and under-dash LED bars

Coming soon: JP header, Vibrant axle-back exhaust, high-flow catalytic converter, Weapon-R oil catch can, TRD CAI

#3 Salsa Guy

Salsa Guy

Guru

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • Matrix XR
  • 4WD

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Yes you can. Just need to open ABV.

TRIX MODS:
TRD SC, AEM UEGO Wideband w/Auber Gauge, Auber Boost Sensor/Gauge, Oil Catch Can, e-Bay SRI w/AEM Dry Flo, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Voltage Stabilizer/Ground Kit, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley, DRL Mod, Fog Light Mod, Sunroof Auto Stop Mod

GT MODS:
DRL Mod, Fog Light Mod, Sunroof Auto Stop Mod, Fog HIDs, Hella Horns, DC Sports STB, Cosmo Racing SRI

#4 Evilthorne

Evilthorne

Are you "Reddy"

• Silver Member
  • 10,689 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Subaru
  • WRX STI

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

Even my sticking open the bypass it will still build a little boost. My setup could build over 6psi.

Hey before you go about trying to figure this out, have you tried just buying a new belt? If so try taking the belt off and putting it on the other way. Sometimes belts look good but will still make noise, just ask dnm the joy we had with my matrix when we were trying to put it back to stock. I jumped the gun and changed out the alternator right away only to find out that the great looking belt I had was the culprit. Afterwards I talked to my Dad and he mentioned just swapping the direction of the belt because sometimes the way it is made can make noise one way but not the other.
Posted Image
click my sig for my registry

#5 Salsa Guy

Salsa Guy

Guru

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • Matrix XR
  • 4WD

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:37 AM

I'll try that! Waiting on my new tensioner, the tension release nut is fubar. Some guy on MO had done this but I can't find his post. I don't believe he listed the length of the belt. I'm thinking 80" but it might be 79".

I'm almost for sure it's the alternator and the noise has been coming and going for the last month but now it always there. I've tried listening to it and the SC via a screw driver but but that is still inconclusive

TRIX MODS:

GT MODS: