Shadow Trix

Guru

• Members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

Hey guys,

I noticed there wasn't really a tutorial for tail light tinting on the forum so I decided to make one. The method I will be going over is the VHT Niteshades method which is a spray. I will also be showing you guys how to remove this stuff if ever necessary. There is a lot of misconception of people claiming you cannot remove this stuff but that is untrue and I have done it personally on numerous occasions.

Description of VHT Niteshades

A simple transparent black lens coating. I would like to add that this does give "gloss" look. If you want a matte look, this is not for you!

How Do I Remove It?

In order to remove this stuff you will need a product called Goof Off. Goof Off is available at any Home Depot, Rona, Lowe's and for the Canadians, Canadian Tire. You want to put this liquid on a paper towel and wipe a part of the tint off and then toss the paper towel aside and not use that same piece again because it will have the tint on it and you will smear it all over your lights again. That's why I do not recommend using a cloth. Use as much as this stuff in order to remove the tint. I used a 474 ML bottle of Goof Off to completely get rid of everything. That cost me around $10 in Canada so I'm guessing it'll be much cheaper in the States.

Availability:

As far as availability goes as far as Canadians are concerned, I have noticed this stuff being offered at Canadian Tire so you can pick up a can from there. You will only need one can anyway. If they do not carry it you can go to any tint shop and they should have it. That goes for Americans as well, you guys can probably pick it up at a tint shop (if any of you guys know any other places, please do post it up)

Price:

$14 bucks in Canada. Not sure how much it is in the states but it's not going to be much different, if not cheaper.

What You'll Need:

-(1) Spray can of VHT Niteshades for a set of Tails and other accessories typically speaking
-Degreaser/soap & water to clean lights
-Cloth to dry up lights
-Simple tools to take tail lights off

Process of Removing Tail Lights:

I strongly recommend you take the lights off the vehicle because this stuff sprays in a "wide" fashion and can get on your car even if you tape/cover the surroundings up. Plus if you by accident have some over-spray it can go through the tape, etc and get on your paint. I have had a friend of mine who owned a C300 gott his paint screwed up over this. For some reason the Goof Off doesn't work on vehicle paint like it does on plastic tail lights.

Here is a link to a how-to to remove the tails on the 2003-2008:

http://matrixowners....__1#entry375096

Not sure how to remove tails on 2009+ but I'm sure someone will tell us on here.

Before You Begin:

I want to stress how important it is not to go too dark with your tail lights. Make sure your brake lights are still visible during the day otherwise if you get rear ended they can pin it on you for having your tails too dark and not visible. Also you will be a victim of the cops pulling you over for having it too dark. Furthermore, before you begin check the tinting laws in your state or province and see what the laws are in case it is illegal.

Process of Tinting:

1. After your done removing your tail lights off your car you want to start cleaning the tail lights with a degreaser or soap and water properly in order to get all the dust and road grime off.

2. Lay something down so you can put your tail lights on top of in order to start spraying. You will want to do this in-doors. This is important because outdoors your going to get dust, etc on your tail lights and it's going to look like s*** when it dries. I do this in my garage.

3. Okay so the spray can calls for numerous coats in order to get a dark tint or what not but I have always done this in one coat but the key is to have the spray can far so that the liquid just sits on the surface and doesn't start getting thick and runny.

4. Once your finally ready to begin spraying, hold your spray can about 15-18" away. The spray can label says to do it closer but I don't really recommend it (this stuff gets runny) especially if you want to do this in one coat. Start spraying away and keep it an even coat all across the tail light and make sure you match both the tail lights to the same level of tint (otherwise it's going to look pretty stupid after lol). Do not go too dark because then your lights will be hard to see during the day time when you hit the brakes. Also you run a high chance of having the cops pull you over for visibility.

5. After you're done spraying let it sit for 3-4 hours before you handle it and put the tail lights back. If you have more time then by all means let it sit there longer. What I usually do is, I do this at night and let it sit over night.

6. When it's all done put your tail lights back on and enjoy. If you screwed up, don't stress just remove it with the Goof Off and start over again.

Here are some pictures below. Sorry no close ups. What you will notice though with the Matrix picture is that I didn't go too dark with it so it does look a bit red (the tail lights are on - you can see even during day time the light shines through and is safe). But you can choose to go darker. The RSX looks black though because I went heavier with it. Also you will notice that I have the reverse light area and turn signal area on the tail lights of the Matrix still white and that was from taping that part up. You can choose to do the same. I went around the rim with electrical tape because it is stretchy and straight then put regular painters tape in the middle. Enjoy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T 6SPD

2005 Toyota Matrix XR

Fs: Nrg Steering Wheel, Quick Release & Hub

#2 CrailTrixXR

CrailTrixXR

Guru

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, soccer, snowboarding, and some car stuff here and there. Oh and craft beer.
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR AWD

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

do you have any pictures in between all the steps?
Current Mods
Custom magnaflow exhaust, TRD front upper strut bar, H1 UR Retrofitted Projectors with Apollo shrouds 5K, 6K HID Fogs, Cupholder LED's, Underseat LED bars, 5% tints in rear windows, 17"x7.5 Ikon rims and Canuck lowering springs w/ stock struts.
Posted Image

#3 Petertracks

Petertracks

Guru

• Members
  • 3,959 posts
  • Interests:sleep would be great....

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

Great stuff. We use and sell a ton of it.
If you guys cant find it locally we sell it for $10.50 per can and $7 s/h in the lower 48 states.

#4 Shadow Trix

Shadow Trix

Guru

• Members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

do you have any pictures in between all the steps?

No sorry. Plus I don't know how good that would do you Posted Image. It would simply be a picture of it on the ground un-sprayed then sprayed lol

2005 Toyota Matrix XR

#5 TRDfrankie

TRDfrankie

↓↓↓ My Future Wife ↓↓↓

• Members
  • 8,189 posts
  • Interests:Formula One!! Travel, Photography... Hot women!!
  • Toyota
  • Matrix TRD

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:44 PM

Excellent write up and functional/frugal mod.
Please Click on the Link and Donate! ===> http://www.conquerca...onal&fr_id=1431 <== Thank you!

Posted Image

#6 Shadow Trix

Shadow Trix

Guru

• Members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

Excellent write up and functional/frugal mod.

thanks man. glad you liked it

2005 Toyota Matrix XR

#7 shawngeeves

shawngeeves

• Members
  • 949 posts
  • Matrix
  • XR

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:17 AM

Excellent write up and mod. :) Thanks for sharing!

Also, are those rims in the Matrix photo stock rims plasti-dipped?

Not to hijack your thread, but if they are, could you post some photos?

Edited by shawngeeves, 17 April 2011 - 08:19 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Shadow Trix

Shadow Trix

Guru

• Members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

Thanks man. No sorry they're not. They are painted. I painted those rims long before i knew about plasti-dip. Those are actually my winter rims/tires. They have some curb rash on them so i will be doing them some time in the next month and will post pictures in the plasti-dip thread :)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR

#9 shawngeeves

shawngeeves

• Members
  • 949 posts
  • Matrix
  • XR

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thanks man. No sorry they're not. They are painted. I painted those rims long before i knew about plasti-dip. Those are actually my winter rims/tires. They have some curb rash on them so i will be doing them some time in the next month and will post pictures in the plasti-dip thread :)

Good stuff, looking forward to it. :D
Posted Image

#10 MrAngry

MrAngry

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRs

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

Just to add, a really easy way off removing nite shades is brake cleaner. It will literally drip right off without harming anything. Looks great by the way!
Posted Image

#11 Shadow Trix

Shadow Trix

Guru

• Members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

Just to add, a really easy way off removing nite shades is brake cleaner. It will literally drip right off without harming anything. Looks great by the way!

Thanks man I had no idea. Sounds easier lol

2005 Toyota Matrix XR

#12 boble94

boble94

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

i dont think brake cleaner is something you would want to use for the tails...
wouldn't it "eat" the plastic?
Posted Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Matrix XRS|Pioneer AVH-4000DVD|1.5" Mangowalk Antenna|10" Pioneer Sub|ACT Clutch/Fidanza Flywheel|

#13 MrAngry

MrAngry

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRs

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

i dont think brake cleaner is something you would want to use for the tails...
wouldn't it "eat" the plastic?

Nope, Took it off no problem and didn't do a thing to the plastic. Although it does stain your shower if you run out :D .
Posted Image

#14 Shadow Trix

Shadow Trix

Guru

• Members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

Personally speaking I already have used the Goof Off and have had a good experience with it so I'm going to continue using it lol

2005 Toyota Matrix XR

#15 Shadow Trix

Shadow Trix

Guru

• Members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:02 PM

Personally speaking I already have used the Goof Off and have had a good experience with it so I'm going to continue using it lol

2005 Toyota Matrix XR

#16 boble94

boble94

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

haha. i see. sounds good then. although i wish i had a darker color trix. :(
Posted Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Matrix XRS|Pioneer AVH-4000DVD|1.5" Mangowalk Antenna|10" Pioneer Sub|ACT Clutch/Fidanza Flywheel|

#17 HorseHead

HorseHead

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Car, Meet, Horseback riding.
  • Toyota
  • Matrix TRD Edition

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

Thank you for this How to :) I plan to do mine very soon, your tutorial will be very useful.

Where did you get the Niteshade?
Posted Image
2006 Toyota Matrix TRD Edition

#18 boble94

boble94

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

you can get some VHT NightShade at Autozone, advanced Auto, or those are the stores that carry them in my area. or amazon.
Posted Image

#19 Shadow Trix

Shadow Trix

Guru

• Members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

you can get some VHT NightShade at Autozone, advanced Auto, or those are the stores that carry them in my area. or amazon.

He's in Quebec. They don't have those places. He needs to go to a tinting shop. They usually carry it

2005 Toyota Matrix XR

#20 boble94

boble94

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

ohhh! haha . i didn't notice that.
Posted Image