5 Speed To 6 Speed Conversion?

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#201 dnm

dnm

captain pants

• Members
  • 10,267 posts
  • Interests:Toejam, but not Earl; sequels to bad movies; hair in the drain; dog farts; and broken promises.
  • 2003 Matrix XRS/2004 Matrix XRS/2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser/2004 Audi S4/1994 Toyota Supra TT/1983 Yamaha XS400/and the real gem: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder, bιtches.

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

Brass drift + one good smack == removed axles.

#202 trixienathanp

trixienathanp

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

Hello All,

this has been a very helpful thread, thank you for all the information.  I am getting ready to do a 5-speed to 6-speed conversion with a used transmission.  For anyone that has done this themselves:

1)  are there any hints, tips, tricks, pitfalls, that I should know about? 

2)  I am setting this up as a daily commuter car, not a racing car.  What are your recommended brands for a good clutch?

3)  Besides the clutch, shifter knob, and transmission, are there any other parts we need to have ready?  (I have all the tools I'll need)

4)  Is there a certain type of synthetic transmission fluid that anyone would recommend? 

5)  I have not purchased a shifter knob.  Where are you guys getting yours?  Ebay?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll keep you updated.

#203 CORZRYDE

CORZRYDE

A bit of a whiner ;)

• Members
  • 5,020 posts
  • Interests:My Wife, daughter & son and FAST CARS! :)
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR SC w/ C60 swap

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hello All,

this has been a very helpful thread, thank you for all the information.  I am getting ready to do a 5-speed to 6-speed conversion with a used transmission.  For anyone that has done this themselves:

2)  I am setting this up as a daily commuter car, not a racing car.  What are your recommended brands for a good clutch?
3)  Besides the clutch, shifter knob, and transmission, are there any other parts we need to have ready?  (I have all the tools I'll need)
4)  Is there a certain type of synthetic transmission fluid that anyone would recommend? 
5)  I have not purchased a shifter knob.  Where are you guys getting yours?  Ebay?

Read through this thread again, right from page 1. All the info you're looking for have been mentioned at least once.

Follow my Bragging Rights thread HERE!

2007 Matrix XR~THE LOOK~Speedway Blue~TRD oil cap~TRD CF engine cover~TRD Grille~TRD STB~Hella Horns~Tein S-Techs~Progress RSB~MB Motorsports Boost Wheels (Gold)~Ichiba spacers (15mm F, 20mm R)~colour matched projector retro headlights .....................
................................~THE POWER~TRD SC~TRD CAI~DeatschWerks 370cc injectors~GReddy E-manage Ultimate~MWR pnp harness~AEM UEGO In Line Wideband~URD AFR calibrator~C60 transmission swap~MWR Ultralight flywheel~Spec stage 1 clutch~Energy Suspension motor mount inserts~Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings~Speed Source extended push rod~TRD axle back exhaust

a295f0dc-55d0-4ddb-85d9-92ba80bf4be7_zps

2008 Lexus RX350~Bamboo Pearl~The family hauler~270HP & 251 ft. lb. torque in a modest package; the silent killer...

#204 hughesjasonk

hughesjasonk

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hello All,

1) your axles will fit. you dont have to use the 2zz axle

2) Stage 1 or stage 2 exedy is ok my preferance is clutchmasters

3) new drain and fill plug seals also new axle seals. New Flywheel Bolts. And have a rear main seal ready just incase.

4) I use mobile 1 75-90 and it does just fine

5) a shifter knob is a shifter knob

If you are doing this on a daily communter that you are trying to get nice mileage out of I do not recommend that you do it. your 5 speed will give you better gas mileage over the 6 speed.

Hello All,

Read through this thread again, right from page 1. All the info you're looking for have been mentioned at least once.

In his defence the thread is kinda old.

Duct tape is silver but silence is golden..........

MOD LIST

#205 CORZRYDE

CORZRYDE

A bit of a whiner ;)

• Members
  • 5,020 posts
  • Toyota

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:34 PM

^ good point. However, this topic can be searched in "all forums" and will give you a ton of advice. I've typed out the recommendations/procedures a few times and dnm has mentioned it way more times than I have.

2007 Matrix XR~THE LOOK~Speedway Blue~TRD oil cap~TRD CF engine cover~TRD Grille~TRD STB~Hella Horns~Tein S-Techs~Progress RSB~MB Motorsports Boost Wheels (Gold)~Ichiba spacers (15mm F, 20mm R)~colour matched projector retro headlights .....................
................................~THE POWER~TRD SC~TRD CAI~DeatschWerks 370cc injectors~GReddy E-manage Ultimate~MWR pnp harness~AEM UEGO In Line Wideband~URD AFR calibrator~C60 transmission swap~MWR Ultralight flywheel~Spec stage 1 clutch~Energy Suspension motor mount inserts~Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings~Speed Source extended push rod~TRD axle back exhaust

2008 Lexus RX350~Bamboo Pearl~The family hauler~270HP & 251 ft. lb. torque in a modest package; the silent killer...

#206 MyTrix05

MyTrix05

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:48 AM

I just did a 6 speed conversion in my 05 matrix xr. I had a problem with the cables being too short. Called monkey wrench racing and the guys figured out over the phone what the mechanics or I couldn't figure out. My tranny came out of a celica which won't work directly because of the location of the shifter mechanism on top of the tranny. Monkey wrench had the solution for $285 which replaces the mechanism back to where I can use the clutch cables in my car. Other than the headache of trying to figure that out it was pretty smooth otherwise. Just thought I'd give a heads up in case it wasnt already posted in here. Had my car back a day and so far so good.

#207 CORZRYDE

CORZRYDE

A bit of a whiner ;)

• Members
  • 5,020 posts
  • Toyota

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

I just did a 6 speed conversion in my 05 matrix xr. I had a problem with the cables being too short. Called monkey wrench racing and the guys figured out over the phone what the mechanics or I couldn't figure out. My tranny came out of a celica which won't work directly because of the location of the shifter mechanism on top of the tranny. Monkey wrench had the solution for $285 which replaces the mechanism back to where I can use the clutch cables in my car. Other than the headache of trying to figure that out it was pretty smooth otherwise. Just thought I'd give a heads up in case it wasnt already posted in here. Had my car back a day and so far so good.

It is mentioned in here about that, but yes you are correct.  CElica and MR2-s have their shifter linkage on the opposite side of the tranny.  It always fun doing this swap, ask me how I know.....

#208 hoooboy

hoooboy

Guru

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

It must be the smartest info I read for someone who only have 3 posts on MO.com.  Usually it's something about "how can I have LIFT with my 1zz??"  lol

123.jpg

SUMMER MODE
2005 Matrix XRS
Bragging Rights Thread

#209 bnmiss

bnmiss

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

Hi all, I am new to this topic, but fell into a nice shape 05 Matrix with 195k on the odo and now a nice brrrr'ing sound coming from the 5 speed manual transmission, which gets more pronounced at higher speeds.

I too want to opt for the 6 speed with slightly better and an extra mainshaft bearing. I have 2 options (but am open to suggestions for other potential suppliers of 6 speed matrix transmissions and even a total re and re package if the price is reasonable; I paid 3k for the car, so not much attachment, other than looking for a cost effective fix):

1. a JDM Celica transmission with 70-80k on it or

2. a 6 speed XRS transmission with 115k on it. Will either of these slide right in (I believe that both are from 03- 06 vehicles, but will confirm prior to purchase), other than having to change the speed sensor from the current 5spd to the 6 spd.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a clutch... I'm only looking to get 100k out of this car, so a reasonably good and cost effective clutch should suffice.

#210 bnmiss

bnmiss

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned that i'm in the Mississauga area, so most of the golden horshoe area is close by.

#211 thebarber

thebarber

brapapapapapap

• Members
  • 12,754 posts
  • Toyota
  • Echo

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

DNM might have a c60 he's willing to part with

thebarber%20winter%20echo%20signature_zp

#212 bnmiss

bnmiss

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

Thanks; those Echos go forever... I contacted DNM and will wait for his response.

#213 bnmiss

bnmiss

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

Hi all, does anyone know a good reputable wrecker in the golden horshoe area who may be selling a 6 speed transmission for an 05 Matrix? The price I got quoted around Brampton seems high compared to the prices given by others.

#214 dnm

dnm

captain pants

• Members
  • 10,267 posts
  • Interests:Toejam, but not Earl; sequels to bad movies; hair in the drain; dog farts; and broken promises.
  • 2003 Matrix XRS/2004 Matrix XRS/2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser/2004 Audi S4/1994 Toyota Supra TT/1983 Yamaha XS400/and the real gem: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder, bιtches.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:45 PM

The C60 I have is spoken for.  The other one I have is grindy in 4th when warm.  Not sure if I'm going to sell or attempt rebuild on that one yet.

#215 bnmiss

bnmiss

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

Any thought in the community if the 6 speed really is better/ will be more durable than the 5 speed? I can get a relatively low km (85k km) for about 850 cad or I can get the 5 speed rebuilt for about 1750 cad ( I only have one quote, so I don't know if this is a good deal) plus removal and reinstallation plus hardware ( clutch plate) for both options. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

#216 dnm

dnm

captain pants

• Members
  • 10,267 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

The 6 speed is a far better transmission in every way.

#217 thebarber

thebarber

brapapapapapap

• Members
  • 12,754 posts
  • Toyota
  • Echo

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

6 is best

thebarber%20winter%20echo%20signature_zp

#218 bnmiss

bnmiss

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

Thanks a bunch:)) this makes the decision easy.