40 replies to this topic

#1 Sndscrubber

Sndscrubber

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

If resetting - by taking the battery off for twenty minutes or so - doesn't work (and after you're sure nothing is really wrong with your car), try resetting the "maintenance required" display by setting first your ODO display to the ODO setting. Turn off your engine. While pressing and holding down the ODO button, turn your key to the ON position. The display will do this weird blinking action then it'll go back the ODO reading. No more "maintenance required" display.

#2 Peter69

Peter69

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, I have done countless mods on my bike, now I want to start on my car.
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

If resetting - by taking the battery off for twenty minutes or so - doesn't work (and after you're sure nothing is really wrong with your car), try resetting the "maintenance required" display by setting first your ODO display to the ODO setting. Turn off your engine.  While pressing and holding down the ODO button, turn your key to the ON position.  The display will do this weird blinking action then it'll go back the ODO reading.  No more "maintenance required" display.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How to reset it is in the owners manual.
It means your due for a oil change?
After you change your oil always reset it.
The dealer resets it after they change the oil.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Modify, Modify, Modify The Job Is Never Done</span>
List Of Mods Done
RedLine Power Chip
Secret Weapon Short Air Ram
Amsoil in Transmission & Motor
Helix Power Tower Throttle Body Spacer
Magnaflow Exhaust System

#3 Vinster03XR

Vinster03XR

a bit of a troll

• Members
  • 7,432 posts
  • Interests:My Car and a few other things
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:06 AM

Must be an 05/06 thing??

Vin
Posted Image
Thanks Mikes_Matrix for the Sig
CarPC is the only way to go...
My Car Domain Page

#4 TRDfrankie

TRDfrankie

↓↓↓ My Future Wife ↓↓↓

• Members
  • 8,189 posts
  • Interests:Formula One!! Travel, Photography... Hot women!!
  • Toyota
  • Matrix TRD

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

Must be an 05/06 thing??

Vin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question Vin

I have an 05 and I've never seen a Maintenence Required Light come on and stay on at all. Ever.

Frankie
Please Click on the Link and Donate! ===> http://www.conquerca...onal&fr_id=1431 <== Thank you!

Posted Image

#5 Peter69

Peter69

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, I have done countless mods on my bike, now I want to start on my car.
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

Must be an 05/06 thing??

Vin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question Vin

I have an 05 and I've never seen a Maintenence Required Light come on and stay on at all. Ever.

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who does your oil changes?
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Modify, Modify, Modify The Job Is Never Done</span>
List Of Mods Done
RedLine Power Chip
Magnaflow Exhaust System

#6 TRDfrankie

TRDfrankie

↓↓↓ My Future Wife ↓↓↓

• Members
  • 8,189 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix TRD

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

Must be an 05/06 thing??

Vin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question Vin

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have my oilchanges done at the dealer; but only because I know someone there. And I only use Mobil1 since the very 1st oilchange. But like I have said I have never seen a maintenance light come on in my car for any reason. I change my oil at regular intervals every 8000Km give or take several hundred kilometers.

Frankie
Please Click on the Link and Donate! ===> http://www.conquerca...onal&fr_id=1431 <== Thank you!

Posted Image

#7 Peter69

Peter69

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:20 AM

Must be an 05/06 thing??

Vin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question Vin

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have my oilchanges done at the dealer; but only because I know someone there. And I only use Mobil1 since the very 1st oilchange. But like I have said I have never seen a maintenance light come on in my car for any reason. I change my oil at regular intervals every 8000Km give or take several hundred kilometers.

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The dealer is resetting it, after they change the oil they reset the maintance light. I talked to them about it. I do my oil changes myself, and I reset the light. It's in the owners manual on pg 115 I think.
List Of Mods Done
RedLine Power Chip
Magnaflow Exhaust System

#8 Roxtar

Roxtar

ಠ_ರೃ

• Site Admin
  • 13,324 posts
  • Interests:porsches, wrenching, racing
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:49 AM

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it blinks on startup at 4500 miles and stays constant at 5000 miles.
at 8000km, you'll only see the couple of blinks on startup.

Edited by Roxtar, 03 October 2006 - 06:51 AM.

2005 Phantom XRS. Current Mods Updated August 10, 2009.
Posted Image
my race track videos: video 1, video 2
Project: Track Rat. Porsche 944
my crappy blog about music... Hey, I actually posted something there!

#9 Vinster03XR

Vinster03XR

a bit of a troll

• Members
  • 7,432 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

I've waited to 12K and never saw a light... I have an 03...hence my "must be an 05/06 thing" comment.

Vin
Posted Image
My Car Domain Page

#10 TRDfrankie

TRDfrankie

↓↓↓ My Future Wife ↓↓↓

• Members
  • 8,189 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix TRD

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

Must be an 05/06 thing??

Vin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question Vin

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The dealer is resetting it, after they change the oil they reset the maintance light. I talked to them about it. I do my oil changes myself, and I reset the light. It's in the owners manual on pg 115 I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get it through your head. The Maintenance light has NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER come on! NEVER period.

The dealer is NOT resetting anything! Is that any clearer now?

Posted Image

#11 Vinster03XR

Vinster03XR

a bit of a troll

• Members
  • 7,432 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:53 PM

Must be an 05/06 thing??

Vin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question Vin

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sound like the 2nd season of lost when they reset the timer but don't know what is does..
Posted Image
My Car Domain Page

#12 Peter69

Peter69

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:21 AM

I've waited to 12K and never saw a light... I have an 03...hence my "must be an 05/06 thing" comment.

Vin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you stop going to the dealer you'll see it come on, or if you wait till 5,000 miles before you get your next oil change you'll see it. Ask the dealer if you don't believe us.
List Of Mods Done
RedLine Power Chip
Magnaflow Exhaust System

#13 Roxtar

Roxtar

ಠ_ರೃ

• Site Admin
  • 13,324 posts
  • Interests:porsches, wrenching, racing
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XRS

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:18 AM

it started in 05. 03/04 will never see it.
2005 Phantom XRS. Current Mods Updated August 10, 2009.
Posted Image
my race track videos: video 1, video 2
Project: Track Rat. Porsche 944
my crappy blog about music... Hey, I actually posted something there!

#14 TRDfrankie

TRDfrankie

↓↓↓ My Future Wife ↓↓↓

• Members
  • 8,189 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix TRD

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

If you stop going to the dealer you'll see it come on, or if you wait till 5,000 miles before you get your next oil change you'll see it. Ask the dealer if you don't believe us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off 5000 MILES = 8000 KILOMETERS

And like I said before... I change my oil at APPROXIMATELY 8000 KM intervals. What does this mean? This means that I change it 8200, 16900, 24900 give or take. At ALL of my oil change intervals I WAS OVER your magic 5000Miles/8000Kilomters ALL of those times.

Your anwser STILL is NO. I have NOT had any maintenance lights, bells, chimes, signs of any kind telling me to change the oil.

Could this be an American market thing???

Frankie

Posted Image

#15 Peter69

Peter69

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix XR

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off 5000 MILES = 8000 KILOMETERS

And like I said before... I change my oil at APPROXIMATELY 8000 KM intervals. What does this mean? This means that I change it 8200, 16900, 24900 give or take. At ALL of my oil change intervals I WAS OVER your magic 5000Miles/8000Kilomters ALL of those times.

Your anwser STILL is NO. I have NOT had any maintenance lights, bells, chimes, signs of any kind telling me to change the oil.

Could this be an American market thing???

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might be, all the American Matrix's have the maintance required light.
List Of Mods Done
RedLine Power Chip
Magnaflow Exhaust System

#16 ud666

ud666

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

I've got a 2005 and drove over 8000KM since my last oil change. I was waiting for the light to come on but never saw it. I'm in Canada by the way. So is there a maintenance/service reminder light or not?
2005 Matrix Base FWD Phantom - B Package,

#17 chicharrones

chicharrones

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix X

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:06 AM

I change my own oil on my American market 2006. I reset the maintenance required indicator every time. It is in the owners manual, definitely. :D

#18 TRDfrankie

TRDfrankie

↓↓↓ My Future Wife ↓↓↓

• Members
  • 8,189 posts
  • Toyota
  • Matrix TRD

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:08 AM

I've got a 2005 and drove over 8000KM since my last oil change. I was waiting for the light to come on but never saw it.  I'm in Canada by the way.  So is there a maintenance/service reminder light or not?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm thinking it's an American market thing only. Like yourself I've never had any light of any type come on to tell me to change the oil....

I change my own oil on my American market 2006. I reset the maintenance required indicator every time. It is in the owners manual, definitely. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not required on my Matrix eh.

Posted Image

#19 JALOOS

JALOOS

Guru

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • Interests:My Car, Computers
  • Toyota
  • Matrix

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:32 AM

I have 06 and never have I seen a light. I don't like the idea of going 8000k b4 an oil change so I do one at 4000k and toyota does the next one at 8000k. This way I get my oil changes ealier than specified but I still stay on Toyota scheduled maint. as well as then I do not need to proove that I have done the oil changes to them.

I know it costs me more for oil but it's peace of mind and doen't void the warranty.

So in theory I should be getting a light because I don't reset anything and have gone slightly over the 8000k between "toyota" oil changes so even if they are resetting I should still show a light.

NO light here.

:D

Edited by JALOOS, 14 October 2006 - 07:33 AM.

Posted Image
"I Started Out With Nothing And I Still Have Most Of It Left"

#20 Whelan

Whelan

Guru

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  • VW
  • GLI

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

Funny you guys are talking about this. My light went on today. 2005 XR AWD with approx 34k on it. I assume its for the oil and filter checks so I pay no matter to it, car runs fine. My Honda did the same thing at certain intervals 30, 60, 70k miles so that you could do certain areas like tranny flushes, coolant, etc. etc. If its not an SES or engine light then no worries. I will be resetting this tomorrow.
2012 VW GLI Autobahn
6MT
Appearance Package
Platinum Gray Metallic

Genvibe June '07 MOTM
Resident Car Care Guy